In July 2018, Vietnam imported 163kt of cotton, up 69.8% year on year and up 11.4% month on month. Cotton imports continued to rise in July, to hit a three-year high. For import origins, U.S. took the first place still, and its proportion rose. Australia ranked the second place due to intensive arrivals, with volumes up to 38.4kt in Jul, up 106% year on year.
I. Cotton imports hit a 3-year high in Jul
II. Australian cotton imports rise significantly
In Jan-Jul, U.S. cotton imports reached 522.8kt, higher about 15.57% compared to the corresponding period of last year; Indian cotton imports totaled 180.2kt, up 39.31% year on year; Brazilian cotton imports rose by 292% year on year to 90.5kt; Australian cotton imports were 60.6kt, up 96% year on year.
In terms of unit prices, U.S. cotton prices continued to rise. Australian cotton prices also moved up, which may be attributed to the additional 25% tariff on U.S. cotton from China, and the higher competition from China as China will allocate additional 800kt of sliding-scale duty quotas. It can be seen that the proportion of high-grade cotton has been increasing, and textile industry may face structural change.
Vietnam’s cotton imports from U.S. and Australia rise in Jul, 2018
- Ημερήσια νέα Βαμβακιού 22/07/2019 — DTN Cotton Close: Higher in Muted Trade Μετά τη μεγάλη άνοδο της Παρασκευής το χρηματιστήριο βάμβακος έκλεισε ελαφρώς υψηλότερα τη Δευτέρα σε μια συνεδρίαση με χαμηλό όγκο συναλλαγών και κινούμενο σε στενά πλαίσια διακύμανσης. ICE Futures July 22 2019: Cotton Futures EUR/US$ 1.1215 Αφιέρωμα: Ευφυής γεωργία Η ευφυής γεωργία ήρθε για να μείνει Της Βικτωρίας Αποστολοπούλου Η παραγωγικότητα της [...]
- USA: Crop Progress — Released July 22, 2019, by the National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS), Agricultural Statistics Board, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Cotton Squaring - Selected States [These 15 States planted 99% of the 2018 cotton acreage] ----------------------------------------------------------------- : Week ending : :-----------------------------------: State : July 21, : July 14, : July 21, : 2014-2018 : 2018 [...]
- Vietnam’s export revenue in Jan... — Vietnam’s export revenue during January-June this year totalled nearly $18 billion, up 8.61 per cent over the figure during the same period last year, according to the ministry of industry and trade. Of the total, shipments to the United States were worth over $11.7 billion, followed by those to the European Union ($2.56 billion) and Japan [...]
- Pink Bollworm Versus Bt Cotton: Three... — The caterpillar of the pink bollworm (Pectinophora gossypiella) destroys cotton yield by munching on the seeds in cotton bolls. (Photo credit: Alex Yelich, Department of Entomology, University of Arizona) By Leslie Mertz, Ph.D. Three countries used the same tactic to fight the same pest on the same crop, but they had wildly different results. Why? [...]
- All Party Parliamentary Group for Sus... — LONDON, July 18, 2019 /PRNewswire/ — The new APPG has been formed by MPs from all sides of the political spectrum to interrogate the sustainability of the clothing and textiles industry, including supply chains, materials used and consumer behaviour. The formation of this group is timely as it follows the Government’s response to the Environmental Audit Committee’s [...]