In July 2018, Vietnam imported 163kt of cotton, up 69.8% year on year and up 11.4% month on month. Cotton imports continued to rise in July, to hit a three-year high. For import origins, U.S. took the first place still, and its proportion rose. Australia ranked the second place due to intensive arrivals, with volumes up to 38.4kt in Jul, up 106% year on year.
I. Cotton imports hit a 3-year high in Jul
II. Australian cotton imports rise significantly
In Jan-Jul, U.S. cotton imports reached 522.8kt, higher about 15.57% compared to the corresponding period of last year; Indian cotton imports totaled 180.2kt, up 39.31% year on year; Brazilian cotton imports rose by 292% year on year to 90.5kt; Australian cotton imports were 60.6kt, up 96% year on year.
In terms of unit prices, U.S. cotton prices continued to rise. Australian cotton prices also moved up, which may be attributed to the additional 25% tariff on U.S. cotton from China, and the higher competition from China as China will allocate additional 800kt of sliding-scale duty quotas. It can be seen that the proportion of high-grade cotton has been increasing, and textile industry may face structural change.
Vietnam’s cotton imports from U.S. and Australia rise in Jul, 2018
- TURKEY: WILL COTTON ACREAGE FALL AFTE... — Food inflation is now an issue, as the impact of the Lira collapse is being fully felt. Recently, the attention has been on onions, which have tripled in Lira terms over the past year. The sharp increase in this staple food has caused the government to come out against the farmers, and attempt to stop [...]
- BRAZIL: CONAB RAISES THE 2018/2019 CO... — In its February estimates, CONAB raised Brazilian cotton production estimate by 151,208 tons to 2,564,900 tons (11.784 million bales). The February report also revealed what may lie ahead for acreage outside of Mato Grosso, as growers in almost every region expanded cotton acreage by sizeable levels. The success of Mato Grosso growers, with cotton as [...]
- Ημερήσια νέα Βαμβακιού 15/02/2019 — ICE cotton ends little changed, posts worst week in nearly 2 months Το χρηματιστήριο βάμβακος έκλεισε με ελάχιστες διαφοροποιήσεις την Παρασκευή τελειώνοντας τη χειρότερη εβδομάδα των τελευταίων δύο μηνών και με την προσοχή στραμμένη στις συνομιλίες ΗΠΑ-Κίνας. ICE Futures February 15, 2019: Cotton Futures EUR/US$ 1.1260 Ημερίδα για την ευφυή γεωργία Μια σημαντική εκδήλωση έγινε χθες [...]
- Cotton Spin: Getting back to normal — Sources of public information on crop markets restored following the conclusion of the government shutdown. John Robinson In some ways, agricultural commodity markets are getting back to normal. When the federal shutdown ended, several regular sources of public information on crop markets were restored. USDA resumed weekly export sales and shipment reporting for cotton. The [...]
- Frustration Mounting Over Cotton Trad... — By Dr. Seshadri Ramkumar Excess supply and a prolonged trade war with China continue to impact the cotton market. Productive – and often stressful – conversations about the current trade dispute between the U.S. and China took center stage during the February 15 Plains Cotton Advisory Group meeting at Plains Cotton Growers (PCG) in Lubbock. The [...]