2018 China state cotton auction has ended on Sep 30. The daily selling volumes put on auction maintained at 30kt and total selling volumes approached 2.514 million tons, including 1.561 million tons of Xinjiang cototn, with trading proportion of 58.3%. Trading prices were averaged at 14,732yuan/mt. After this round of auction, the remnant stocks of reserved cotton in the state warehouses are estimated at about 2.75 million tons. Cotton prices experienced sharp fluctuations in May, and since June, only textile mills were allowed to take part in the auction, and China announced to allocate additional sliding-scale duty quotas. In end July, the state cotton auction was prolonged from Aug to Sep. Chinese yuan weakened apparently during the period and there were several rounds of trade dispute between U.S. and China, dampening the consumption in general.
By Sep 30, 2.514 million tons of reserved cotton have been totally sold during the 2018 state cotton auction, with trading proportion of 58.3%. Trading prices were averaged at 14,732yuan/mt, and after the auction, about 2.75 million tons of reserved cotton are estimated to be left in the state warehouses. From June 4, only textile mills were allowed to take part in the auction and the reserved cotton could not be resold, so as traders were not allowed to participant, trading prices were under control. The trading proportion was closely related with the selling volumes of reserved Xinjiang cotton, to have positive correlation.
If the state cotton auction continues during Mar and Sep 2019, based on the average trading volumes of 2.80 million tons during 2016-2018, there will be no reserved cotton in the state warehouses after 2019 state cotton auction, if there is no state cotton reserves.
Big events during 2018 China state cotton auction and statistics analysis
- Planting cotton under film — how it p... — Cold and wet planting conditions early this year hampered a research project evaluating the positives of planting cotton under biodegradable film. Brad Robb Darrin Dodds, Extension research professor, cotton agronomics, Mississippi State University, dedicated a research plot this spring to discover if cotton planted under a biodegradable film would increase early-season plant growth. The theory [...]
- The hidden human cost of fast fashion — As garment workers toil under exploitative working conditions, FEMNET works toward greater transparency in the fashion industry. Ahead of the German Sustainability Award, the NGO’s director tells DW what must change. The global fast fashion industry is often called out for the exploitative working conditions in its factories that are staffed primarily by impoverished women — [...]
- Ημερήσια νέα Βαμβακιού 06/12/2018 — DTN Cotton Close: Sharply Lower on Trade Fears Το χρηματιστήριο βάμβακος είχε μια δύσκολη ημέρα την Πέμπτη και έκλεισε με μεγάλες απώλειες όπως όλα τα εμπορεύματα και όλα τα χρηματιστήρια. Η σύλληψη της διευθύνουσας συμβούλου της κινεζικής εταιρείας Huawei προκάλεσε σοκ στις αγορές, που φοβούνται κλιμάκωση του εμπορικού πολέμου Κίνας-ΗΠΑ. ICE Futures December 06, 2018: [...]
- India’s cotton output may hit 9... — Rajendra Jadhav * Fewer rains hit crop in top growers Gujarat, Maharashtra * Output seen at 32.5 mln bales vs 37 mln bales yr ago * Exports seen at 5-6 mln T vs earlier forecast of 10 mln T * India is world’s top cotton producer By Rajendra Jadhav MUMBAI, Dec 6 (Reuters) – India’s [...]
- INDIA: Why mills aren’t worried about... — News reports that cotton production will hit a three-year low in October 2018-September 2019 season have set alarm bells ringing on the Stree Vatsala Kamat A comfortable stock from the earlier season should alleviate the stress of output shortage due to uneven rainfall in the 2018-19 cotton season. Graphic: Mint News reports that cotton crop [...]