2018 China state cotton auction has ended on Sep 30. The daily selling volumes put on auction maintained at 30kt and total selling volumes approached 2.514 million tons, including 1.561 million tons of Xinjiang cototn, with trading proportion of 58.3%. Trading prices were averaged at 14,732yuan/mt. After this round of auction, the remnant stocks of reserved cotton in the state warehouses are estimated at about 2.75 million tons. Cotton prices experienced sharp fluctuations in May, and since June, only textile mills were allowed to take part in the auction, and China announced to allocate additional sliding-scale duty quotas. In end July, the state cotton auction was prolonged from Aug to Sep. Chinese yuan weakened apparently during the period and there were several rounds of trade dispute between U.S. and China, dampening the consumption in general.
By Sep 30, 2.514 million tons of reserved cotton have been totally sold during the 2018 state cotton auction, with trading proportion of 58.3%. Trading prices were averaged at 14,732yuan/mt, and after the auction, about 2.75 million tons of reserved cotton are estimated to be left in the state warehouses. From June 4, only textile mills were allowed to take part in the auction and the reserved cotton could not be resold, so as traders were not allowed to participant, trading prices were under control. The trading proportion was closely related with the selling volumes of reserved Xinjiang cotton, to have positive correlation.
If the state cotton auction continues during Mar and Sep 2019, based on the average trading volumes of 2.80 million tons during 2016-2018, there will be no reserved cotton in the state warehouses after 2019 state cotton auction, if there is no state cotton reserves.
Big events during 2018 China state cotton auction and statistics analysis
- TURKEY: WILL COTTON ACREAGE FALL AFTE... — Food inflation is now an issue, as the impact of the Lira collapse is being fully felt. Recently, the attention has been on onions, which have tripled in Lira terms over the past year. The sharp increase in this staple food has caused the government to come out against the farmers, and attempt to stop [...]
- BRAZIL: CONAB RAISES THE 2018/2019 CO... — In its February estimates, CONAB raised Brazilian cotton production estimate by 151,208 tons to 2,564,900 tons (11.784 million bales). The February report also revealed what may lie ahead for acreage outside of Mato Grosso, as growers in almost every region expanded cotton acreage by sizeable levels. The success of Mato Grosso growers, with cotton as [...]
- Ημερήσια νέα Βαμβακιού 15/02/2019 — ICE cotton ends little changed, posts worst week in nearly 2 months Το χρηματιστήριο βάμβακος έκλεισε με ελάχιστες διαφοροποιήσεις την Παρασκευή τελειώνοντας τη χειρότερη εβδομάδα των τελευταίων δύο μηνών και με την προσοχή στραμμένη στις συνομιλίες ΗΠΑ-Κίνας. ICE Futures February 15, 2019: Cotton Futures EUR/US$ 1.1260 Ημερίδα για την ευφυή γεωργία Μια σημαντική εκδήλωση έγινε χθες [...]
- Cotton Spin: Getting back to normal — Sources of public information on crop markets restored following the conclusion of the government shutdown. John Robinson In some ways, agricultural commodity markets are getting back to normal. When the federal shutdown ended, several regular sources of public information on crop markets were restored. USDA resumed weekly export sales and shipment reporting for cotton. The [...]
- Frustration Mounting Over Cotton Trad... — By Dr. Seshadri Ramkumar Excess supply and a prolonged trade war with China continue to impact the cotton market. Productive – and often stressful – conversations about the current trade dispute between the U.S. and China took center stage during the February 15 Plains Cotton Advisory Group meeting at Plains Cotton Growers (PCG) in Lubbock. The [...]