After experiencing drought condition and hurricanes, U.S. cotton sees decline in its quality. This article analyzes the 2017/18 and 2018/19 cotton indicators, showing that the quality of 2018/19 cotton reduces much on color index, length, strength and leaf grade. For Micronaire Index, the proportion of low micronaire cotton reduces, that of standard micronaire cotton increases, while that of high micronaire increases.
Remark: the statistics in the article is from USDA. The U.S. cotton inspection data in 2018/19 is by Nov 8, 2018 and that in 2017/18 is by Nov 9, 2017. The standard mentioned is the U.S.’s standard.
U.S. cotton arrivals
U.S. upland cotton quality
2. Leaf grade
“Unexpected” U.S. cotton quality in 2018/19 season
- Mexico: Cotton and Products Update — Attaché Reports (GAIN) Total cotton production for marketing year (MY) 2018/19 is forecast at a record 1.89 million bales, 18 percent higher than the previous marketing year. This reflects initial results of the Secretariat of Agriculture, Livestock, Rural Development, Fisheries and Food (SAGARPA) 2017- 2030 cotton strategy; in addition to a continuation of producer preference [...]
- Ημερήσια νέα Βαμβακιού 11/12/2018 — DTN Cotton Close: Higher Despite Bearish USDA Numbers To χρηματιστήριο βάμβακος κατάφερε να ανακάμψει την Τρίτη, μετά τις μη αναμενόμενες προβλέψεις που έκανε το αμερικανικό υπουργείο γεωργία στην εκτίμηση Δεκεμβρίου που ανακοινώθηκε χθες για την παγκόσμια παραγωγή και κατανάλωση βαμβακιού, και έκλεισε θετικά. ICE Futures December 11, 2018: Cotton Futures EUR/US$ 1.1379 Cotton Highlights from December [...]
- Cotton Highlights from December WASDE... — The December 2018 World Agricultural Supply and Demand Estimates (WASDE) report has been released by USDA. Here’s this month’s summary for cotton: This month’s 2018/19 U.S. cotton forecasts include slightly higher production and ending stocks. Production is raised 180,000 bales due mainly to a 300,000-bale increase in Texas. Domestic mill use and exports are unchanged. Ending stocks, [...]
- Global Markets: Cotton – China’s Stat... — From USDA China’s State Reserve (SR) stocks of cotton reached an estimated 60 million bales in the spring of 2014, after 3 years of massive buildup. SR stocks are currently estimated at just under 13 million bales. This dramatic reduction was accomplished by 3 years of aggressive selling, with 11.5 million bales sold in the [...]
- Uzbekistan reduces cotton production ... — By Abdul Kerimkhanov As many as 2.3 million tons of cotton were produced in Uzbekistan in 2018, Uzbek media reports. According to the State Statistics Committee, country collected more than 2.9 million tons of raw cotton in 2017. “Indeed, severe drought, unexpected torrential rains and winds in spring, sultry heat and water scarcity for summer [...]